Sunday, October 26, 2008

vacation is for people who hate their jobs.

I flipped through Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen's coffee-table book today, and it was surprisingly legit. For those of you who don't know it, it's basically a book where they interview their main role-models, like Peter Lindbergh, Terry Richardson, Diane Von Furstenberg, John Galliano, Karl Lagerfeld etc etc. It also has candid portraits and polariods from parties. I read the interview with Lindbergh, where they discussed the topic of digital photography and his thoughts on it. Not surprisingly, he's not a huge fan of digital photography, but unlike so many others, for good reasons.

I definitely share his main argument: That a digital shoot is way less personal, since all the 8 people in your crew want to see how the pictures look. And so, to not upset people, you have to pause in the middle of shooting a set, just to show your little display to the assistant make-up artist. And you're not even showing that person a finished product, so what's the point? It really interrupts the flow of a set, pausing and looking at a display that's less accurate(if possible) than a Michael Bay war depiction. Terry Richardson also made some valid arguments, I realized that today when I was developing the pictures posted below. The anticipation is almost half the thrill for me. A lot of the times, I don't even look in the viewfinder when I take a candid picture, and so I get surprised at least a couple of times per roll, in both good and bad ways. I also feel that people who shoot film often have a higher ratio of good pictures per set. They're forced to push themselves harder, since you can't look at a screen to see if the pictures are turning out alright. You just have to know when you push the button.

In essence, I think digital photography is a great thing. I'm not going to pretend like I could manage without it. That being said, it's definitely a comfort thing, and while shooting digital + constantly looking at that stupid fucking nightmare of a screen, I sometimes can't help thinking: Wow, anyone could do this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jag lånar en bild.

Anonymous said...

lånar några bilder här. tack. hej